Episode #204 - Rich Mullins Tribute: Part 1

September 14th, 2012

We visit with Andrew Peterson, the man several sources have called "the heir apparent to Rich Mullins." We also hear reflections from Randall Goodgame, and an exclusive tribute song from David Story.  Plus several tunes by Rich, including "Sometimes By Step" and "If I Stand."

Songs Played in This Episode (9)
  • The World As Best As I Remember It, Vol. 2 Everyman
    on Appendix A
    by Andrew Peterson
  • Above These City Lights Calling Out Your Name [LIVE]
    on Above These City Lights
    by Andrew Peterson
Comments (6)

I did not pay Rich too much mind as long as he was with Amy Grant. I dismissed those songs outright. I am so glad he got to be on his own. I started listening to him after Awesome God ( a song I did not like at the time because the word ” awesome”  had become so demeaned ) ... He was a deep and honest singer songwriter and I only came to appreciate him after he was gone. So glad we have recordings in this day and age.

JIMTYPING 11:41 AM Fri, Sep 14, 2012

Rich Mullins was the first contemporary Christian artist I could really relate to and had the sound and storytelling I enjoyed listening to. When I was first introduced to his music I bought 3 or 4 cassettes (yes it was a long time ago!) and had them playing constantly in my home and my car!  My young kids and I would sing Awesome God at the top of our lungs driving down the road. I love those memories. Thanks Rick. You are missed.

cgergen 01:07 PM Fri, Sep 14, 2012

Rich spoke the truth - even when others tried to shut him up.  His songs and messages were always about grace.  No other man in the 20th century modeled his life so close to that of Jesus Christ than Rich.  To hear him speak or to watch him at work, you’d think it was Jesus Christ himself.  Rich was a true inspiration to my spiritual journey - both in missions and music.  We’ll miss him, but (like his spirit) his songs are eternal.  We’ll always have the songs with us.  And that’s something only a great artist can achieve!

Chris Pick 01:12 PM Fri, Sep 14, 2012

Thank you so much for producing this lovely tribute! I clearly recall that night in September… I had been listening to Rich’s music since I was in sixth grade, when he stayed at our home after a concert at our church (before his first album
was recorded). Then fifteen concerts and fourteen years later, I was blessed to attend his final concert in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Rich, his ministry and his music had a profound effect on my musical and spiritual grouwth.

In fact, I got to play the pennywhistle part of “Boy like me, man like you” when the Ragamuffin band performed in “The Jesus Record” tour at Taylor University, near my home. Rich’s music is one reason I learned to play pennywhistle… and “If I stand” was also a song I played and sang at my church in 1993. Now I have more of an understanding as to why Andrew Peterson has become a favorite artist of mine in recent years.

What an incredible musical legacy we have to celebrate!

AngieK 01:48 PM Fri, Sep 14, 2012

Yes, Andrew leave Planet X in the past, admittingly slept during a concert you all did before the chili bowl. You have got some amazing stuff now. Listening to your interview—-Rich is my favorite of all time—- reminded me of those days of yesteryear—CIY, etc… we had a similar upbringing and Rich was used amazingly by God and the rustic voice.

mortilyn 11:12 PM Fri, Sep 14, 2012

Completely broke down in tears with Mary Picked the Roses. I’ve never heard it before; such brilliant and true lyrics. Beautiful rendering of them, Andrew Peterson.

I was privileged to discover Rich in my high school years, and my teenage self connected instantaneously with his humility and utter disdain for the gloss of fame. And of course, his songs and writings were instrumental in my own spiritual growth, showing me that it was okay to be broken, honest, imperfect, and in need of grace. My particular favorite has always been a little known tune called “Waiting”.

I was in college when he died; it hit me hard. I have my own “chapter” of the Rich Mullins Preservation Society, smile,  telling friends and family to this day about him and sharing his music, which is timeless. (And we named our oldest son Eli after another little-known gem on Brother’s Keeper, called “O Eli”).

dawnomite 03:16 PM Fri, Jun 19, 2015